Goods and Services Tax (GST) is all set to be rolled out from July 1, 2017 as India’s biggest federal taxation reform. GST is an integrated tax which works on the concept of “One Nation One Tax”. The biggest benefit of GST implementation would be removal of cascading effect of multiple taxes and seamless flow of Input Tax credit.
To facilitate small businessmen, traders, shopkeepers and public at large ICAI GST Sahayata Desks have been made operational by the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI), on pro bono basis at all major cities. To begin with, GST Sahayata Desks will be made operational at approximately 200 locations through 5 Regional Councils, 163 Branches and 48 CPE Chapters of ICAI. The GST Sahayata Desks would be operational w.e.f May 28, 2017 till September 30, 2017 at PAN India level.
The main objectives of setting up these Desks are to facilitate traders, small businessmen and public at large by.
- Creating basic awareness on GST (An Overview of GST)
- Informing about benefits of GST in Tax and business environment
- Guiding in Migration
- Helping in filing GST Returns
- Providing answers to Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Resolving queries of a small Businessmen and traders
- To spread the message that ICAI and members are assisting in implementation of GST
The salient features of these ICAI GST Sahayata Desks will be:
- The said GST Sahayata Desks will work for 3 hours every day (from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m.) to resolve issues and doubts on GST with special focus on small traders, shopkeepers, small businessmen and small manufacturers etc. without any charges.
- The Regional Councils/Branches of ICAI would coordinate with the local Trade, Market and Business Associations, RWAs and similar associations to ensure that the benefits of these Desks reach maximum people.
- Expert(s) having GST knowledge will resolve the issues raised by stakeholders at the ICAI GST Sahayata Desks.
- The FAQs compiled by ICAI and/or Govt. can be made available and circulated among participants.
- Workshops on GST will be organized on Fortnightly basis inviting small traders, shopkeepers, small businessmen and small manufacturers in the Branch premises as well as other venues identified.
- Nilesh S. Vikamsey, President, ICAI said “The Goods and Services Tax (GST) will replace multiple taxes system in a single taxation system w.e.f from July 1, 2017. Implementation of GST would be a win-win situation for all the three stakeholders viz government, businessman and consumers. It will also boost economic growth in the country because of development of common market. ”
He further added “ICAI has always been supportive & contributing towards various initiatives taken by the Government and will support the Government with smooth implementation of GST.”